Tuesday, January 5, 2010

LODESTAR

As we move along into this new year, I am pondering the word "balance". As a fifty-something woman, I desire balance every day in every way. I was reading the January 5th entry in MY UTMOST FOR HIS HIGHEST By, Oswald Chambers this morning and was moved by a word in the final sentence: "There is only one lodestar in the life now, the Lord Jesus Christ." As I looked up this word in my dictionary, I was thrilled to read the first and second definition:
1. a star that is used as a point of reference; especially the North Star,
2. A GUIDING principle, interest, or ambition.
It is so easy to fall out of sync in this life, to lose our equilibrium along the way. However, it can bring us great comfort to remind ourselves that there is a "lodestar" in our midst when we make it a point to look for it, to seek it out. Life is like a see-saw, up and down, up and down, and yet, our God can help us to stay centered and steady as we go through our days. 1 Thessalonians 5:17 reminds us to simply: "Pray continuously, without ceasing."
I like to call this sending up constant 'arrow prayers' to my Father in heaven.
My earthly, godly, Dad, who was born on March 4, 1920 will celebrate nine decades in this new year. Daddy always says it like this: "It is a good idea to live your life with equanimity, the quality or characteristic of being calm and even-tempered, having composure."

How about you? Have you called upon your "lodestar" today?

No comments:

Post a Comment